Thursday, December 17, 2009

Two places at once

I wish. We've had the sickness plague hit our house. Noah came down with a fever Saturday. He was really out of it for Saturday/Sunday. You know Noah is sick when he just lays there and doesn't want to cause mischief.

He got better, then I started getting a sore throat. Tuesday night, Callie started running a fever and she had one all day yesterday and then a mild one this morning.

So, today was Noah's Christmas party at preschool. All the parents came and they decorated cookies. Dave had to work at Thorntown today (only 2 days left), so I decided to go and just bring Callie. Well, when she was still running a fever this morning, I decided that perhaps this wasn't such a good idea.

Dropping Noah off was so hard because the teacher was really disappointed that I couldn't come back. Then she said that the director could come and be a "substitute" for me. Ugh. I wanted to be there, but I didn't have anyone to watch my sick kid. Well, Callie's fever broke through the morning and she started feeling much better. I still debated, but since this thing is obviously contagious, I still stayed home with her.

When I went to pick Noah up, they were reading a story. I had to take Callie in, and so we sat and listened. It was really nice to be there, but I kept Callie on my lap the whole time. I was the only parent who had been missing, and I felt the loss of missing out on those moments with Noah. Right or wrong, I felt shamed/judged that I hadn't been there before (since clearly Callie was doing much better). Parenting is hard, trying to make the best decisions for everyone involved.

There will be plenty more of these opportunities, I know. I'm feeling emotional today and I probably just need to get over the fact that I just couldn't be in both places at once.

Hopefully, we're all on the mend now. We're really looking forward to the holidays this year. Noah and Callie are so much fun to buy for and I'm really excited to see their faces this year as they open presents. It gives me a new perspective on how Father God feels when he gives good things to us. He delights in us. That's pretty much how I feel about my kids.

Well, I'm off to finish cleaning while the kids are napping. Have a great day!

1 comment:

Christy said...

Don't feel ashamed Kim! You made the call you felt was in the best interest of everyone involved - that's all you can ever do! You're a great mom - and Noah knows that! Hugs to you!!!!