Thursday, November 6, 2008

Random

-I love my lifegroup...alot. We went shopping last night for an outreach ministry to buy some clothes for some kid's in need. The amount that people gave was staggering. We also had a lot of people show up on Wednesday (even though they were just at lifegroup on Tuesday) to help pick out clothes for the kids. It was a lot of fun and there is always a sense of peace when you know that you can help another person.

-I'm worried about primetime television. I'm reading this book about how, as christians, we often get desensitized by all the sex and innuendos on TV. I know that. Well, on two of my favorite television shows, they have now introduced pretty steamy gay relationships. I just wonder how long it will take for our society to become desensitized to this...and what the "next" thing will be.

-Callie is coming out of her funk and is actually playing on the floor now. Last week, I couldn't leave her sight and the mere thought of her trying to entertain herself was, well, not to be entertained. Now, she is playing and laughing with Noah. Those teeth still haven't popped through yet, but maybe they are giving her a little more relief.

-I want to hire a maid. Yes, I know my prime responsibility is to raise the kids and take care of the house. And yet, I still struggle on a daily basis to reign in the chaos. I pick up the living room. Walk into the kitchen and come back...and it looks like someone has thrown up all over it again. I have been trying for 4 days to get the house cleaned up enough to steam clean the carpets. The problem is, I get started on something, then get interrupted by (fill in the blank: crying, juice needs, something) and then forget what I was originally doing. So, I start something else that needs to be done, and repeat the process. Add in there naptimes where I can't really vacuum. At the end of my day, I'm frustrated, because although I've made progress...it's barely visible. On days like that, I fantasize what it would be like to leave for a few hours and come back to a sparkling clean house. The kind where when I am sitting down, I don't see the cobwebs hanging off my ceiling that I know need to be dealt with. Yes, that's my fantasy...but it is not my reality. So, I had better buck up, get going and quit griping.

-Dave and I have a date tonight. Not sure when our last one was...it's been awhile. Our neighbor is going to watch the kiddos, while we grab dinner sans children. I'm really looking forward to it.

OK, I think I have it all out of my system. Have a great day.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I feel you about the whole maid thing!

mjvan said...

Have fun on your date night! One thing I have started doing is waiting until Kinley goes to bed before I pick up. I can do other things during the day-dishes, laundry, sometimes dust and vaccum, etc. so that when he goes to bed all I have to do is pick up and then I'm free. :) Just a suggestion.

SLP said...

Hey, I'm sort of with Mandy. Although sometimes, I admit, I just kick the toys out of the way so if I have to trec to the kitchen in the night, I don't trip and hurt myself! But, I just do not pick up toys until Davey boy is asleep. Also, I have found that the vacuum pushes toys out of the way as I vacuum!!!! Funny or sad I'm not sure which it is, but it works for this house:) Have fun on your date...hmmm...I think Erik and I are way over due for a date:)

SLP said...

Hey, I'm sort of with Mandy. Although sometimes, I admit, I just kick the toys out of the way so if I have to trec to the kitchen in the night, I don't trip and hurt myself! But, I just do not pick up toys until Davey boy is asleep. Also, I have found that the vacuum pushes toys out of the way as I vacuum!!!! Funny or sad I'm not sure which it is, but it works for this house:) Have fun on your date...hmmm...I think Erik and I are way over due for a date:)

Elizabeth said...

OH that outreach sounds awesome. I was just telling Andrew I can't wait til we can sign up for adopt a kid for christmas! we usually take 2-3 and we've taught Brigham about the importance of helping others.. so he loves picking things out for the kids!
I hear ya on the house.. thankfully, my husband does the laundry and the dishes. but dusting and picking up piles is never ending! I NEED visual peace or I go nutz!
maybe you could get a maid for Christmas?
have fun on your date.

Smileyface said...

i like the maid idea but i've been trying to convince myself the last couple days that all this "running in circles around the kids" is helping me lose my baby fat....except it's not disappearing...*sigh*

Ann said...

We do have someone who comes every couple of weeks or so--that was my condition after we came back from sabbatical, the one thing I could take off of my plate. But you know what? I have to do (well, feel like I have to do) all the decluttering before she cleans, and it lasts less than an hour after everyone is home...